Dental Cleanings and Exams
Our staff can help you maintain a healthy, strong smile through preventive check-ups at The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry in Skokie, IL. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends dental visits at least twice per year for most patients. Regular exams and professional cleanings help to ensure you’re doing all you can to maintain optimal oral health.
The human mouth can contain millions of bacteria. While some oral bacteria aid with proper digestion and actually reduce oral disease, other oral bacteria species can cause tooth decay and periodontal disease. Harmful oral bacteria thrive in the sticky deposits on your teeth and gum called plaque. Regular brushings can remove plaque and keep the corrosive effects of bacteria at bay. However, plaque that is not removed (from improper brushing techniques or irregular flossing, for example) hardens into tartar. Once tartar is bonded to your teeth, it can only be removed by a dental hygienist during a professional cleaning. Twice-yearly cleanings keep tartar build-up to a minimum and further protect you from bacteria’s damaging effects on your teeth and gums.
Professional cleanings not only rid teeth of harmful plaque and tartar build-up but can also remove some surface stains. This can help keep your teeth maintain a whiter and brighter appearance. Cleanings are finished with a quick polish that leaves your teeth looking shiny and feeling smooth.
What to Expect
During your examination, we will also:
- Evaluate your overall oral health: The state of your mouth affects your overall wellbeing. We can provide a comprehensive evaluation to make sure your smile is healthy and strong.
- Discuss oral hygiene practices and habits: Correct brushing and flossing technique are crucial to properly caring for your teeth and gums. We can determine whether or not you are missing any areas with your current cleaning techniques, or whether an addition such as a fluoride-enhanced mouthwash may be beneficial for you.
- Check your bite and jaw for any issues: Our team can detect signs of bruxism, a term for teeth grinding or clenching, by checking for flattened or worn molars. We can ensure your jaw and bite are working properly, and fit you for a mouth guard or other protective device, if needed.
- Evaluate your risk of tooth decay and gum disease: Preventive measures can eradicate or reverse oral health issues before they require costly restorative care.
- Screen for oral cancer: A quick, non-invasive oral cancer screening at least once a year can catch early symptoms of oral cancer in patients with or without common risk factors, and will give you peace of mind.
- Evaluate existing tooth restorations: Dental crowns, bonding, implants, or veneers must be regularly checked by a dental professional for signs of deterioration, infection, or improper fit.
- Take dental x-rays if necessary: Diagnostic images help Dr. Stein or Dr. Weiss detect hidden infections or inflammatory issues before they present painful symptoms or potentially damage the structure of your teeth and gums.
Schedule Your Next Cleaning
At The Stein Center for Advanced Dentistry, our team can provide you with a thorough dental cleaning and preventive exam. It’s important to remember that proactive measures like these are much more affordable than restorative procedures; it pays to stay vigilant about your oral health! If you’re due for a six-month cleaning and examination, Contact us to request an appointment. We’re open Monday through Friday and with extended hours on Wednesday!