When you think of cosmetic dentistry treatments, you may immediately think of porcelain veneers and dental bonding. However, professional teeth whitening is perhaps one of the fastest growing, most requested types of cosmetic dentistry services requested by Skokie, IL patients. Find out if teeth whitening is suitable for your needs by contacting Drs. Abraham Stein and Zachary Weiss by calling our practice at (847) 676-3500.
Why Teeth Whitening?
What makes teeth whitening from a dentist such an attractive choice for patients who have fallen out of love with their smiles? Consider these following advantages:
- Immediacy: Teeth whitening products that you receive from a dentist are much stronger and safer than the ones you can find at your local store. This means they offer faster results, which is perfect if you want a dazzling smile for an upcoming event.
- Consistency: A big complaint about over-the-counter teeth whitening products is that they may provide highly inconsistent results. One tooth could be noticeably whiter than others, or all the teeth could wind up being different shades.
- Safety: Most patients do not tell their dentists when they try over-the-counter teeth whitening solutions and products. They take a chance whenever they use a product because they do not have a dentist’s approval on their side. Worse yet, plenty of individuals try do-it-yourself teeth whitening “tricks” which can cause long-term problems. Dentists only use the safest teeth whitening treatments because they know the whiteners will not harm patients’ teeth.
- Cost: Although over-the-counter teeth whitening boxes and strips cost less to purchase, their performance is typically subpar. Patients often try box after box before finally coming to their dentist for reliable, predictable results. In other words, they spend much more when they could have saved by coming to the dentist first.
Physical and Psychological Advantages to Cosmetic Teeth Whitening
Can having a whiter smile actually have practical, concrete advantages for a patient? Many patients who get teeth whitening through their dentists report numerous benefits, such as:
- They feel more confident in social situations.
- They worry less about the way they look in pictures.
- They take better care of their teeth to maintain their new, bright smile.
- They feel more attractive overall, especially during special events or at celebratory occasions.
- They begin to consider other ways to improve their smiles, such as with restorative dental implants or dental crowns.
Candidacy for Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening is an ideal treatment solution for many patients, but it may not be the right choice for all candidates who have stained or discolored teeth. For instance, individuals whose teeth are stained brown or gray due to long-term use of antibiotics will not respond to teeth whitening. The same is true for patients whose teeth have “gone dark” after suffering a trauma. In those cases, a different cosmetic dentistry treatment such as placement of porcelain veneers may produce desired results.
However, patients whose teeth have yellowed because of normal aging and food or smoking stains may be prime candidates for teeth whitening. In all cases, underlying untreated conditions such as gum disease and tooth decay should be addressed before undergoing teeth whitening treatments.
Teeth Whitening and Cosmetic Dentistry in Skokie, IL
Interested in finding out if teeth whitening is the best cosmetic dentistry treatment for your oral health goals? Contact us at (847) 676-3500 to arrange for a visit with Drs. Stein and Weiss.